About Me

My photo
I am a Practitioner of 'The 7e Way of Leaders' where a Leader will Envision, Enable (ASK for TOP D), Empower, Execute, Energize, and Evolve grounded on ETHICS!

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Daily Lessons from Life 24 May 2014 - Roy Ngerng has 'no answer' after PM Lee rejects appeal to drop damages

"Roy Ngerng has 'no answer' after PM Lee rejects appeal to drop damages - The Straits Times

Mr Ngerng's blog post on The Heart Truths on May 24,2014:

Yesterday, I had put up the apology which the prime minister had demanded and requested not to pay damages. However, I only found out from the news yesterday that the prime minister is still demanding for damages, failing which, he would take me to court.

I am disappointed. I would like to reaffirm my stance that the apology was made only in relation to the perceived suggestion of "misappropriation". The prime minister had not taken issue with the rest of the article with which CPF matters were discussed. I repeat my call for transparency and accountability from the Singapore government to fully disclose to Singaporeans how our CPF is being used.

I had also invited the prime minister to an open dialogue on our CPF. However, he has not responded. He only asked for damages.

Yesterday, Law and Foreign Affairs Minister K Shanmugam said that, "So if you say, the Prime Minister steals from pension funds, then you better be prepared to prove it."

Today, I have made this video. Please watch it."

I am not sure where this is going to lead to. It is interesting that his posting and the video was not taken down. This shows that at least in Singapore, there is some form of freedom of speech. Just that the authorities, rightly so, demand 'responsible freedom of speech'!

Lessons for me are:

1. Mr Ngerng seems genuine. He asked the question about how the CPF is used in a way I have never thought of. I am not sure if it is not a legitimate question;

2. Mr Ngerng obviously overstepped the boundary when he alleged that the PM of Singapore has 'misappropriated the CPF'. For which he has apologised and taken down the 'offending blog or posting as demanded'. Of course, he will need to find an 'answer' to the demand for damages and paying for the legal cost since he has erred in this 'deemed defamatory' posting against the PM by Monday 5 p.m. Failing which he will be hauled to court and answer to the defamation charge;

3. as an ordinary citizen, IF Mr Ngerng is right that the PM did not dispute the fact about CPF returns are much lower than the returns made by the borrowers of the CFP to invest, namely Temasek, GIC and MAS, perhaps it is reasonable for CPF owners to ask the questions of: 'why is this so?' and 'how are the CPF being channelled to these investment agencies?'. And other host of related questions as one would ask of one's investment agent.

So, something good may come out of this controversial episode like: the government has a chance to clear any doubts this episode might have created in the mind of the many CPF owners while holding Mr Ngerng to account for his irresponsible or unsubstantial allegation that the PM has 'misappropriated the CPF'.

No comments: